Wednesday, May 15, 2013

How do I want to spend my last 45 seconds?

I received a Facebook message a few minutes ago, thanking me for some advice I had shared a couple of months back. It closed with the question...
  • By the way, I remember you once posted that you never have a bad day. You might have a bad moment but you never let it ruin your day or even your hour. What is your secret?!
My reply was simply,

  • Johnny Waite

    You are most welcome brother.
    My "secret" is pretty simple. I try to take nothing for granted. If I can be grateful for every little thing, then when the occasional "bad" thing happens I am well aware that it is the exception. And when I have a bad minute, it is a bad minute and I let it go. Not very many actual events last all day, so THEY are not what makes our day bad - WE do, by rehashing them again and again. Car accident - split second. If you are alive, then you can start being grateful. Bad news in the mail - momentary. Etc. Even if something does actually ruin a day or a week or a month, it is still entirely our choice as to when we are going to shift our focus to all of the things we can still choose to be happy about. Even "the big stuff" is not exempt. Cancer - 90% of your time is NOT consumed by chemo and radiation, etc. So enjoy it. And it is likely even more valuable as you suddenly do not have "infinite" time left (you never did, but fooled yourself). I have said to my kids that if I am ever going down during one of my many flights they should know that I had a huge smile on my face because "why the fuck would I choose to spend my last 45 seconds sad and scared when I know full well they are probably my last 45 seconds??!!"
    Hmmm, that may just be a cut and paste blog post 

I do realize that I am fortunate to operate this way, and I have come to see where this sort of advice can actually come off as very glib. But all I can do is share my experience and what works for me. If you are not in a place where you feel it is applicable, then I still send you love and good energy in dealing with whatever is on your plate. And if someday it resonates better, then I hope it is still wedged in the back of your mind somewhere.

4 comments:

  1. Here, here!
    Well done, Johnny. Its all about perspective. For most situations (maybe ALL situations)you can look at your reality and almost assuredly know that someone, somewhere is having a worse go of it than you are!
    Start seeing your bad moments through this lense and things don't look so bad anymore.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Christa! That actually fits very well with this link that I shared today too :)
      http://www.scrawnytobrawny.com/most-interesting-man

      Delete
  2. Excellent question and phenomenal answer! Now that's what I'm talking about!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow I wish more people had your attitude. I try to always see the positive and shake off the negative. I'm fairly successful, but I'm not sure I'd be smiling as my plane was going down!

    ReplyDelete