Saturday, December 10, 2016

ONE THING

I was going to write this post last week, but I got busy. On Thursday I promised a client that I would write it "today", but ended up with too many other things to do. And yesterday, Friday, I said I would do it "tonight" - right before diving into all the other things that also needed to get done.

This is neither earth-shattering news nor is it unique to me. We all have lots of things that we plan to do and we all experience the frustration of not getting them done as we'd like to. Usually we justify this by rationalizing that "it wasn't that important" and "it will get done eventually". Some do "get done eventually" and some don't. Unfortunately, many of the ones that don't are the ones that are "only important to me" - instead we end up putting our time and energy into what is important to other people (because they are pushing us more than we are willing to push ourselves).

In my coaching I often ask clients "What is the ONE thing you need to do tomorrow - the one that would make the day a success even if nothing else got done?" And then we schedule it, in indelible ink, to make sure it DOES get done. At first it is usually a "have to" for work or for someone else - the ones that don't give us great joy but the "not doing" of which is causing us pain. Sometimes it takes several days in a row of clearing these things up before we can get to the "good ones". But the magic lies in freeing up the time and energy to uncover and address the "one thing" that really stokes your fires and moves your life in the direction you desire!

But, enough background!! I didn't log in here today to proselytize. I just wanted to give you a fun gift... So, here is a list of questions about "THE ONE THING I REALLY WANT TO DO IN 2017". Of course you are going to do lots of things, and they won't all be the material of dreams! But it is up to you to make sure that some of them are - and that you give them enough priority - that those dreams start to come true.

WHAT IS THE ONE THING I AM GOING TO ___ IN 2017 ... this doesn't mean the only thing. But it is the ONE you are going to make absolutely sure of!!! Take an hour (less? more??) and answer these questions. Actually write/type them out and keep them handy. Send them to me if you'd like (more below about what I will do with that!!). Notice what comes up for you when doing this exercise. Do you feel Excited? Inspired? Frustrated? Resigned? Take a deep breath and DECIDE that 2017 is going to be defined by what you do about these answers!!


What is the ONE thing I am going to STOP DOING in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to START DOING in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to KEEP DOING in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to DO MORE OF in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to DO LESS OF in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to FINALLY LET GO OF in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to FULLY EMBRACE in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to COMMUNICATE BETTER ABOUT in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to BE MORE HONEST ABOUT in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to DO FOR SOMEONE ELSE in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to DO FOR MYSELF in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to DONATE MY TIME TO in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to DONATE MY MONEY TO in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to TAKE LESSONS FOR in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to SEE in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to HEAR in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to TASTE in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to FEEL in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to SMELL in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to READ in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to WRITE ABOUT in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to ADMIT ABOUT MYSELF in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to GIVE AWAY in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to ACCOMPLISH in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to MAKE MY MOTTO in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to (WHAT ELSE? WRITE YOUR OWN!!) in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to _______________________________ in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to _______________________________ in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to _______________________________ in 2017?
What is the ONE thing I am going to _______________________________ in 2017?


WHAT CAN YOU DO WITH THIS LIST?


  • READ IT WEEKLY- Sunday night? Monday morning? You decide!

  • LAMINATE it and stick it to your SHOWER wall!
  • SHARE it with the people who are important to you!
  • SEND IT TO ME at johndavidwaite@gmail.com, with the subject line ONE THING, and I will check in with you at the end of January to see how you are doing with it so far! No cost. No obligation. Just something to make it exist for real in your world.

Sending you love and good energy for the rest of 2016 and all of 2017!

Johnny


PS. Too many people argue that they are a "free spirit" who needs the "freedom of no schedule!" They see a daily agenda as a shackle when it is actually the very opposite - it is an opportunity for you to define what matters to you and to ensure that is where your time and energy gets spent. There is no freedom in chaos!! And, because you still have to do all the "have to dos", what gets sacrificed is only all the things you actually "want to do". Worth thinking about!!

No comments:

Post a Comment