Sunday, December 18, 2011

Die Trying

****** I stumbled upon this half-written post from a year ago almost exactly. I had just been accepted to compete in The Death Race when I decided to start recording some thoughts and observations. Obviously 2011 The Death Race has come and gone and that component of my life has expanded exponentially. Still, I thought it would be fun to throw this post up here unedited, as it truly was the first thing ever written for "Living Myself To Death". ******


I have been listening to this song a lot the past few days ... It is Dave Matthews, "You Might Die Trying". I have heard it hundreds of times, but rediscovered it posted as the unofficial theme for a race I just committed to running in June. The Death Race in Pittsfield, Vermont.

I am not entirely sure as to why I applied to compete in The Death Race. Truthfully, I was somewhat hoping to not be selected - so I would get the credit for "wanting" to do such a grueling race without ever having to do it. I could show people the videos - 1, 2, 3, 4 - and say, "I would do that!". But I received my acceptance email this week. And was added to the list of participants ... that's me at #141.

AFTER I was officially registered I read this Outside Magazine recounting of last year's race by one of the competitors. And then lay awake all night wondering "What in the fuck have I done?"

I don't get that feeling very often - though that is probably because others have it for me so often (pronounced "What in the fuck has he done?"). I tend to make quick decisions, with my reasons usually indecipherable to others, and leave too much wake. My attitude is generally positive to be point of denial, so I am usually spared feelings of fear, dread or regret. Not this time ... I am already experiencing all three with respect to Death Race 2011.

****** A new, current post coming soon! Thanks for being here a full year in :) And 2012 is shaping up to be ridiculously great, providing me no lack of inspiration about which to think and share. ******

P.S. Back then I didn't know how to embed videos! So, here is the song that is merely linked above :)

No comments:

Post a Comment