Sunday, June 17, 2012

Not the post I was hoping to make today ...

Not the post I was hoping to make today. I pulled from the race late last night. No excuses - the Death Race beat me this year. A full update to follow, but the very short version is that we were surprised with a snap start and sent on a 30 hour odyssey without food or extra water. Involved hiking 25+ miles through impossible single-track trails carrying a kayak overhead the whole way, doing a ton of manual labour and a lake swim, then hiking 18 miles back. After writing a bizarre test we then ran a dirt road to the top of the mountain, carrying 5 gallon buckets of gravel to the peak, chopped up massive logs and carried them back down the mountain, in a creek bed most of the way. When I came back into camp, for the first time, at midnight, my feet were a disaster and I could not get my energy levels restored to face what was still to come - which turns out to be a 45 minute soak in the very cold pond, hiking back up the same creek bed to the top of the mountain, bringing more wood back down, a long hike in blistering heat today and carrying the kayak BACK along the same path, and more that is still to be revealed. Zero percent chance I could have completed that this year. Several of my friends ARE still out there and I am so ridiculously impressed and inspired. Staying to the end to cheer them on, then starting the drive North tonight. THANK YOU SO MUCH TO EVERYONE WHO HAS SENT ME ENCOURAGEMENT AND ENERGY. I love you :)

3 comments:

  1. JDW- Still My Hero

    Johnny - congratulations on making a difficult and necessary choice. I continue to be honoured to be in orbit around your *very* bright star. As our friend Ed said, you are a modern-day gladiator: you inspire, encourage and amaze.

    Safe home, my friend. Thank you for showing me what it means to be fully and truly alive :-)

    Karen

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire you for your strength, courage, your character to attempt something like this. Keep your head up and onto the next one!

    Very best,
    Joe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Having read this I thought it was very informative. I appreciate you taking the
    time and energy to put this informative article together.
    I once again find myself personally spending way too much time both reading
    and leaving comments. But so what, it was still worthwhile!
    my web page - Homepage

    ReplyDelete